The Financial Management Advisor (FMA) is a self-starter requiring minimal instruction, but able to seek assistance and guidance when appropriate. The role supports the Financial Planning (FP) team in delivering regular financial reporting packages and analysis to the assigned departments, the Executive Leadership Team and Council. This role is responsible for the coordination and management of the global processes supporting the preparation of the strategic and financial plans for the department and prepares in-depth financial and business analysis; ensuring management reports are accurate, relevant and insightful to our management team.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Financial Planning and Budgets with dotted line reporting relationships to the assigned client department's Commissioner/Executive, this position will:
- Provide professional advice and guidance to management on financial matters relevant to their area of operation, understanding business operations and key drivers.
- Coordinate, analyze and advise in operating and capital budget development, within the assigned departments. Analyze budget submission for content, and accuracy through consultation with the Commissioner, Directors and Managers, in accordance with guidelines set out by the Executive Management Team and Council.
- Prepare, consolidate and summarize financial reporting packages, comparing results to prior year, budget, forecast or trend analysis. Analyze variances reports utilizing appropriate forecasting techniques, interpret financial data, and comment on historical and future expenditure and revenue patterns.
- Ensure all financial requirements of the departments are met: year-end carry forward and accrual requests, financial system related administration, assisting in the annual update of the schedule of fees.
- Provide financial research, analysis, presentation, or modeling as required. Resolve problems of diverse scope utilizing detailed analysis of data and problem solving skills. Embrace unique, or controversial problems or questions. Present insightful / actionable commentary to leadership team, to provide recommendation to improve processes, to resolve complex issues and competing interests.
- Establish relationships with management and executives, handle challenging situations in a tactful and diplomatic manner and perform at a high-level during time constraints.
- Prepare written analysis and recommendations on financial matters including reports to Department Management, Executive Management, Committees, Council and the public.
- Participate on project teams as a financial resource in either a leadership, advisory or membership capacity.
- Encourage optimism, mentor, and influence others to work toward and achieve team objectives.